Thursday, August 18, 2011

To Pin or Not to Pin

Pin boning fish seems to be one of those tasks that will follow you everywhere, so I recommend getting a pair of something to aid in the pin boning process. I use a pair of 6" Jewelry Pliers that I picked up at Walmart for $8.00 (it was a set of three). Why do I like these more than the pin boning pliers used in Fish Fabrication Class? Well,
  • They fit nicely in my hands and have grips on the handle.
  • They can be used for other tasks, like removing the beard from mussels.
  • They come in a variety of  sizes from tiny three inch pliers to larger, full sized versions.
  • They are inexpensive and readily available.
  • They come in different colors so it is very easy to make sure you get them back after loaning them out.
  • And they are spring loaded, unlike most pliers purchased at the hardware store.

No comments:

Post a Comment