Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me

In just a few days my birthday will be here, and we all know what that means: new gadgets. But there is one gift, that I have already received, that has caught me completely off guard, something I never would have seen coming my way.
Upon arriving in Florida, to spend the remainder of my externship break, there was a knock on the door. Delivered was a small Amazon box. After patiently waiting for months, it was here. Whatever "it" was.
Sitting on the coffee table was a beautiful new Shun Ken Onion 8" Chef Knife with display stand and a Kai Magnetic Blade Guard.

May I say I am in love with this knife. Let's talk about it.
  • It is lightweight. Weighing in at 18.2 ounces, it is lighter than most traditional forged knives.
  • The handle. This handle is ergonomically designed to fit comfortably in your hand from the first use. At first, I was a little skeptical about the design seeing as I had, before, only used straight handled knives. This knife changed my mind entirely. Never again will I use a straight handled knife. There are also little divots to rest your fingers in. Did I mention I love this knife?
  • The blade is not straight either. The blade has a groove in it, perfect for placing your hand when chopping herbs, chocolate, nuts, anything that needs a rock and chop motion.



The Kai Blade Guard is also of superior quality, with a few quirks of its' own.
  • It comes in three sizes (small, medium and large) which will fit any knife.
  • It can be cut to custom fit any blade, regardless of blade width, curve, etc.
  • Its magnetic, to hold on really tight to the knife.
  • It wont crack, chip and split like the conventional plastic blade guards. I've had two of those break on me so far and one break ended with the blade in my finger, so I am a little weary of them now.
I am so happy with this gift. Justin could not have picked a more wonderful present.

No comments:

Post a Comment