Big things have been happening around here: Christmas is coming, Nash is finally potty trained, Justin bought me this amazing new iPad, and I moved from The Bistro to The Atlantic Bar and Grill at work. What has any of this news to do with this amazing recipe? There are flatbreads on the menu at The Atlantic Bar and Grill! And of course it is what inspired me to make this for lunch today.
My flatbread has shiitake mushrooms, caramelized onions, goat cheese, tomatoes, and wild arugula (aka rocket). But of course you can put whatever your heart desires on your flatbread. And, in case you couldn't think of a spectacular hors d'oeuvre for your family Christmas party, go ahead and whip up a couple of these, cut them into two bite pieces and voila! You are a holiday hero.
Flatbread with Vegetables and Goat Cheese
Yield: 1 flatbread
1 Naan Flatbread, found in the deli aisle near the pita
1 oz Goat Cheese, softened
1 small Bunch of Arugula
1/2 Roma Tomato, diced
1/4 White Onion, julienned
5 Shiitake Mushrooms, caps only, julienned
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat one half of the oil. Once very hot, almost smoking, add the julienned shiitakes. Allow to cook until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the mushrooms and wipe out the pan.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Once hot, add the onions.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden and soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the pan.
5. On the Naan, spread the goat cheese in a thin layer.
6. Top with the Arugula.
7. Next, layer on the onions, followed by the mushrooms and then the tomatoes.
8. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the naan is warm.
9. Cut into pieces and enjoy!