Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Heart Arts and Crafts

For some reason I have been obsessed with crafts recently. I have been driving Justin up a wall with all the eco friendly, recycled, re purposed ideas I have StumbledUpon. I finally found one that I needed to make as soon as possible because it is February, the month of Valentine's Day, and The Dollar Tree was all out of Valentine's Day themed decorations for the dorm. So instead of going to Target and paying an arm and a leg for window stickers, I opted for these do it yourself hanging window decorations. And the best part, it only cost me $4.00.


Hanging Window 'Stained Glass' Hearts

You Need:
Waxed Paper
A Box of Crayons
Pencil or Crayon Sharpener (I used the one that came attached to the big box of crayons)
Iron and Ironing Board
Scrap Paper
Scissors
Hole Punch
Ribbon
Marker



Step 1: Cut a piece of waxed paper twice the size of the paper you want it to be. I cut mine about 16" long.

Step 2: Shave the crayon into little shreds with the sharpener onto one half of the waxed paper. You only need enough to lightly cover the waxed paper.



Step 3: Fold the waxed paper in half and then fold the three open edges shut.



Step 4: Sandwich the waxed paper between two pieces of scrap paper to protect your iron and ironing board.



Step 5: With your iron on medium and the steam off, run the iron over the paper sandwich for about forty five seconds or until the wax has melted and spread out evenly.



Step 6: Allow to cool. In the meantime, cut a heart shaped template out of a piece of scrap paper.

Step 7: Once cooled, trace the heart onto the waxed paper.



Step 8: Cut out the heart and hole punch a hole at the top. I used a hole punch that I got from Micheal's Craft Store that is about half the size of a normal paper punch.



Step 9: Thread a piece of ribbon through the hole and hang in your window.


Let me know what you think! Did you do any Valentine's Day crafts? Tell me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment