Saturday, August 25, 2012

Let's Go Bananas!

Yes, I live in Florida. And yes there is a hurricane coming. And yes, the sky was looking particularly ominous today, but I did what any person who had off would do (I am talking every person in the Boca Raton- Delray area) and went to the grocery store to buy supplies. Not hurricane supplies particularly, but rather supplies to make myself some delicious Banana Nut Muffins and Chicken Pot Pie.

Now I will admit, my pot pie recipe is definitely the lazy version, but don't judge me! I had a ton of stuff in the house that needed to be used up. The Banana Nut Muffins are all from scratch though, so I guess the two recipes balance each other out. I will be posting the Pot Pie Recipe shortly so stayed tuned if you love comfort food (and who doesn't love comfort food) as much as I do.

If I had the motivation to change out of my pj's, put make up on, do my hair, walk down to the car, drive to the store...la-dee-da-dee-do. I would get the ingredients to make some cream cheese frosting for my muffins. Would that make them cupcakes? Hmmmmmmmm? Anyway, here is the recipe to make yourself a fantastic stormy day treat.
 

Banana Nut Muffins
Yield: 16 Muffins 

1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
2/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Half and Half
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Banana, mashed
1 cup Walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp Vanilla

I only have one muffin pan, so I made 12 muffins and then poured the rest of the batter into a loaf pan and made some Banana Bread. It is like a two for one recipe here people!



Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nuts. It is important to add the nuts now so that they get coated in flour and don't sink to the bottom of the muffins during the baking period.


In a separate bowl, combine the egg, half and half, bananas and vanilla. 


Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients.
Stir together until just combined. It should be lumpy.

Scoop into greased, unlined, muffin pans. I scooped mine with an ice cream scoop so that they would all come out the same size.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The bread took about four minutes longer to bake than the muffins, so watch your baked goods carefully!

Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before trying to pop them out of the pan.


Waited long enough? Good. Now you can devour your muffins! Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment