During Hurricane Issac, it kind of felt like Fall- darker sky, wind, cooler weather. So I hunkered down with Justin, burned an apple pie scented candle and made Chicken Pot Pie.
The first time I made this recipe it was the day after Thanksgiving in Deep Creek Lake with my family. We had so much left-over turkey no one knew what to do with it, so Gammy made the biscuits and I made the filling and the result was delicious. This recipe is made with chicken instead of turkey (because I was using the leftovers) and Pillsbury Biscuits (because I already had them), but you can use whatever meat and biscuit combination you would like.
As for the veggies. Choose whichever ones you like. Most grocery stores carry frozen mixed vegetables which work great for this but, If you want to use fresh, make sure to sweat/blanch them before mixing them into the filling.
Chicken Pot PieYield: 4 (generous) servings
32 fl oz Chicken Stock
1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Rosemary
1 Tbsp Thyme
1 cup Mixed Veg
3 cups Chicken, cooked, shredded
- In a pot, whisk together the flour and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring periodically.
- Simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken and the vegetables.
- Pour into an ungreased 9x9 baking dish.
- Top with the biscuits.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until the top of the biscuits are golden brown.
- Cover the top with foil and bake for another 4 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before digging in.