I am starting out with just some basic things like cranberries, bananas and pears. I tried the bananas out first and completely ruined them. Apparently you cant start and stop the dehydrator multiple times a day...but bananas round two worked out wonderfully. The cranberries posed a bit difficult in the beginning as well, but I figured it out. Apparently you have to cut the berries in half before dehydrating them. I plan on making some trail mixes that are flavored for certain foods like Banana Bread or Apple Pie. Mmmmmm.
This is just my basic recipe for trail mix but you can put anything you want into it. The biggest things are 1. don't let the fruit touch each other on the trays and 2. use a source of vitamin C on fruits that are susceptible to browning.
Update: Well, the cranberries were not dried all the way so they molded in the mason jars and ruined everything. Second, the bananas take forever to dry. Its been twelve hours and they are still not ready.
Finally, there is a way to test out the fruit and see if they are ready to be put away in dry storage: put a few pieces in a ziplock bag and see if any condesation forms. If so, they are not done and need to be dried out more.
Amanda's Trail Mix
Yield: 2 Mason Jars of Snacks
1 Small Bag of M&Ms
1/2 c Cashews
1 Bag Fresh Cranberries, washed and cut in half
4 Banana, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 Pears, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1c Plain Chex Cereal
1 Orange, juiced
- Space out the cranberries on two drying racks. Dehydrate on high for about 6 hours or until they have the texture of a raisin. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix with the candy, and nuts.
- Toss the bananas in half of the orange juice. Spread out on two dehydrating racks. allow to dry on medium for about six hours or until they become chewy with a slight crunch. Allow to cool and mix with the candy, nuts and cranberries.
- Toss the pears in the reaming orange juice and then place on two racks. Dehydrate on high for 8 hours and allow to cool.
- Add the pears and chex mix to the base and store until you're hungry!